History of Coal Mine

After the exploitation of coal deposits the mine was changed into a main drainage centre in the region. It lost its significance in the thirties of the twentieth century when the mines, which used it, started extraction of coal on lower levels. From that moment GUIDO mining activity became neglected and after the Second World War it became a closed area of Makoszowy coal mine (today Sośnica-Makoszowy Coal Mine – information from the editor of the site). In 1967, on the foundation of a Miming Plant, an “Experimental Coal Mine M-300” was established. The mine provided exploitation experiments with mining machineries manufactured at KOMAG-Gliwice. In 982 on the territory of this mine an open-air mining museum was opened by it was closed in 1996. It was the only coal mine available to people as a tourist attraction. In 1987 the Provincial Conservation Officer registered the old excavations, the buildings of hoisting machine and shaft top on a list of monuments. Due to actions taken by many people, who care about the preservation of the industrial heritage of our region and our city, appropriate measures have been taken in order to save this place by adapting it for museum and tourist purposes. On 16th June, 2007 “the Historic GUIDO Coal Mine” opened its gates to tourists – currently the overground sphere and level 170. In near future we are planning to open level 320 which, as assumed, should reflect the specific character of work in a contemporary coal mine. Apart from that, it is planned to establish an underground centre of art and entertainment.

Coal mine „Guido” is closed sinse 1928. Its beginning date back to the early second half of the 19th century. The permission for mining was granted on the 2nd October 1855. The mine belonged to Donnersmarck family, therefore it was given name after the founder – count Guido Henckel von Donnersmarck – the owner of Zabrze. It used to have two shafts, on of them due to clouds of dust was not completed. The other called “Concordia” reached the depth of ninety seven meters and was put into operation in 1870. The output was excavated by means of steam hoist in buckets of half a barrel capacity. In 1870 the first 52 barrels of coal (about 10 tons) were mined. As the time passed by, the name of the shaft was changed into “Guido” reaching maximum depth of 170 meters in 1887. At the same time , the time the decision to drill second shaft, called “railway” which reached the depth of 334 meters was made. In 1885 coal mine gained the highest output of coal – over 312 000 tons. In 1887 the modernization of coal mine was begin. The decision to drill underground shaft joining two levels 170 and 320 was taken in 1901.

The mining process was ceased in 1928 due to the coal deposits depletion. After war in 1945 – coal mine became part of coal mine “Makoszowy”. Since 1967 at the site, experimental coal mine “M-300” has been in operation, which included mining works and output as a part of the scientific research. Nowadays, the coal mine has three levels – 80, 170 and 320 with drilled galleries, drifts and chambers. The total length of mining excavations is 5191. The tourist route is constituted on excavation on two levels – 170 and 320 which are facilitated with exhibits enabling visitors to trace development of the coal mina and get accustomed with the technologies applied at the pivot of past centuries.

This is CyberFair 2010 project created by students of Elementary School nr 42 in Zabrze, Poland.